Dante + Pro Tools HD Audio Interface Mode
Symphony I/O Dante + Pro Tools HD offers powerful routing options between Symphony I/O modules, Pro Tools HD, and your Dante network.
To set Symphony I/O to Dante + Pro Tools HD audio interface mode from the front panel OLED:
1. Tap Settings (gear icon).
2. Tap the Setup tab at the top of the screen.
3. Tap the Audio Interface Mode button, then tap “Yes” in the on-screen prompt. If the Thunderbolt option card is installed, the button toggles through the available AIMs in the order Dante - Dante + PTHD - Thunderbolt. Thus, it may be necessary to set the Audio Interface Mode twice to arrive at the desired AIM.
Routing TO Pro Tools HD
When Symphony I/O is set to Dante + PTHD audio interface mode, it's possible to route up to 32 channels to the Pro Tools session inputs. The source of these inputs may be routed from either Symphony I/O's 32 I/O module inputs (when 2 modules are installed) or from 32 Dante Receive channels.
Routing from I/O modules inputs or Dante Receive inputs is set on the front panel OLED in Settings (1) > Setup tab (2), using two buttons (3) labelled To PTHD 1-16 and To PTHD 17-32. Each button sets two banks of 8 channels: To PTHD 1-16 sets the source for Pro Tools inputs 1-8 and 9-16, while To PTHD 17-32 sets the source for Pro Tools inputs 17-24 and 25-32.
In the example shown above, To PTHD 1-16 is set to Analog 1-8, Dante 9-16 and To PTHD 17-32 is set to Dante 17-24, Dante 25-32. With this setting, the first 8 I/O module analog inputs are routed to Pro Tools inputs 1-8 while Dante Receive 9-32 is routed to Pro Tools inputs 9-32.
To route all Dante Receive channels to Pro Tools inputs, set To PTHD 1-16 to Dante 1-8, Dante 9-16and To PTHD 17-32 to Dante 17-24, Dante 25-32.
To route all I/O module inputs to Pro Tools inputs, set To PTHD 1-16 to Analog 1-8, Digital 9-16 and To PTHD 17-32 to Analog 17-24, Digital 25-32.
If only one I/O module is installed, then To PTHD 17-32 defaults to Dante 17-24, Dante 25-32.
Routing FROM Pro Tools
Audio FROM the Pro Tools session is routed simultaneously to I/O module outputs and Dante Transmit channels. This routing is fixed.
Custom Labels in Dante Controller & Pro Tools HD
Once To Pro Tools routing has been set, it's recommended to create custom labels for both the Dante Controller Routing grid and Pro Tools I/O Setup. This will make routing between your Pro Tools session, the Dante network, and Symphony I/O modules simple to implement.
The Dante Controller Routing grid custom labels are shown below based on the To Pro Tools settings shown above.
- The first 8 Dante Receivers are set to N.A, or not available. With To Pro Tools configured so input 1-8 are sourced from Symphony I/O modules, Dante Receivers 1-8 aren't routed anywhere.
- All Pro Tools outputs are simultaneously transmitted to the Dante network and routed to I/O module outputs.
In Pro Tools I/O Setup, the custom Input labels shown below are based on To PTHD 1-16 is set to Analog 1-8, Dante 9-16.
Custom Output labels shown below are based 1 I/O module installed - Outputs 1-16 are routed to Dante Transmit and I/O modules outputs simultaneously.