Apple’s iPad Pro with the USB-C port marks a significant change that affects Apogee’s iOS-compatible devices.
First some background:
Apogee’s iOS compatible products have been officially certified for all past iPad/iPhone/iPod models (the ones with Lightning or 30-pin connectors) by Apple through their MFi Licensee program. However Apple does not offer MFi certification for the new USB-C iPad Pro models. With this change, some Apogee accessory features will be slightly different on the new iPad Pro USB-C models.
NOTE: This information is only regarding connection to iOS devices (iPads & iPhones), and does not affect anything regarding connection to a Mac or Windows computer.
All versions of MiC & JAM and Groove - COMPATIBLE
These units will send/receive audio and all functions can be controlled via the knobs/buttons on the hardware or the buttons and sliders on your iPad/iPhone/iPod.
- Connect to the new iPad Pro USB-C with the Apple USB-C to USB Adapter together with the standard USB A cable that came in the box with the product
- We also make a direct USB Micro to USB-C cable, which can be used with the MiC Plus, Jam Plus, and Groove:
One/Duet/Quartet - *PARTIALLY COMPATIBLE
- Basic functions of our larger USB units work. This would be audio playback, some audio input, & output level control. (Note that ONE & Duet do not need the external power supply connected because the USB-C port provides bus power just like on a Mac!)
- However these units are unable to connect to the Apogee Maestro iOS app, and thus are unable to access the Input Settings like Gain and Phantom Power or Output Routing, low-latency mixers, and Volume.
- iPad does not get charged when a ONE, Duet, or Quartet are plugged in to AC power.
- In some cases you may have to power down iPad, connect Duet or Quartet and power back up for them to be usable (ONE behaves differently, see below)
Quartet: offers the best partial compatibility
- All 4 inputs are usable without Maestro via the front-panel controls: https://apogeedigital.com/video/ask-apogee-don-explains-a-new-quartet-feature
- For other setting changes, have to connect to Mac or Lightning iPad/iPhone first. Then can connect to USB-C iPad & settings should carry over.
Duet for iOS/Mac/PC: decent partial compatibility
- Able to adjust inputs gain with front panel knob.
- Other input & various settings must be changed with it connected to a Mac computer or Lightning iPad/iPhone first. Then you can connect to the USB-C iPad Pro and settings should carry over.
ONE for iOS/Mac/PC (black or silver): is the least compatible
- Inputs do not register in any app.
- Output control, playback, streaming from iTunes or other music apps works.
Please be aware this may not work in all cases or on all applications. There is lots of variability and things can change with each Apple iOS release or audio app update.
Note: The Anker USB-C to Lightning Audio Adapter is not a workaround
We would very much like to update these devices to support the new iPad Pro USB-C and are working with Apple to do so. As soon as Apple can provide us a path of compatibility with this device we are happy to update our unit to support it.
Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset - Mostly Compatible
The Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset can be converted from Lightning to USB-C using the Anker Lightning-to-USB-C adapter. Not only does this work in the USB-C iPad's, but it also works on Macs (with limitations):
Note: The Maestro and AMBEO iOS apps will not be able to communicate with the Sennheiser microphones even withe the Anker adapter due to the lack of MFi through USB-C instead of Lightning. However generic recording does work according to our tests.
Other Sennheiser Lightning devices - Not Compatible - ClipMic Digital, MKE-2 Digital, MKE-4 Digital:
These Sennheiser mobile recording products do not work on the USB-C iPads even when connected through the Anker Lightning-to-USB-C adapter. (It also does not work on Macs with USB-C. Only the AMBEO works on Macs through the Anker adapter).
These can only work through iPads and iPhones equipped with a Lightning port.